Window Installation: Which Window Material is Best?
You think just buying windows is a simple process and it is really. However, you will find there are a lot of choices and variables to consider.
It’s really important you hire a window installation company that has great reviews and really knows their products. Then it’s a matter of describing to them what you have in mind and what your budget is. At this point, they can be a great guide in the process.
One thing to consider that is always changing and for the better, is technology. Windows are always changing due to demand for better materials and of course energy certification requirements.
When it comes to materials there are so many! You have choices like wood, vinyl, aluminum, and fiberglass.
Window Installation Birmingham AL: 4 Material Choices
Wood is typically a first thought when it comes to windows or any type of construction project. For good reason, it’s a material that people are most familiar with and have been for many years.
Advantages of Wood Windows:
- It offers the best insulation value—low heat and cold transfer.
- Wood is extremely strong and durable. It actually gets harder over time so can last for years.
- Provide a better return on investment due to its durability.
The Most Popular Choice – Vinyl
Vinyl windows are quickly overtaking wood as the standard material chosen by homeowners due to their high performance and low cost.
Advantages of Vinyl Windows:
- Vinyl is the most affordable of all window materials.
- Energy efficient—the frames are hollow or in some cases are filled with insulating foam.
- Vinyl doesn’t require any maintenance and will continue to look good for years.
- It is non-corroding and UV-resistant. New coatings preserve the exterior finish by allowing UV rays to pass right through.
- Plenty of color selections available.
Aluminum windows can provide a low-cost, low-maintenance option similar to vinyl. They have been a home builders’ choice for a long time because of the strength and durability of the material.
Advantages of Aluminum Windows:
- A less expensive option.
- Easy to maintain; available in anodized or baked-on finishes, so repainting is not needed.
- Aluminum window frames are light-weight and can be customized to fit specific configurations.
- Warp-resistant corners are mechanically joined to maintain their shape for many years.
Fiberglass is a rather unique choice and is gaining popularity due to a traditional wood profile while requiring little maintenance. It is made of glass fibers and resin.
It’s a great flexible material that can be configured to match a home’s exterior design.
Advantages of Fiberglass Windows:
- Matches the look of wood and can be painted to match the exterior of your home.
- Resistant to rotting, warping and swelling.
- Fiberglass will expand and contract with the insulated glass window so is energy-efficient.
- Some fiberglass windows are available with stainable wood or a wood-look veneer on the interior.
The Best Choice for You?
All of the materials mentioned could be a great choice, it just depends on what you’re looking for in a window specifically.
Are you on a tight budget?
Are you concerned about energy efficiency?
Are you concerned about sound insulation?
Do you want something maintenance-free?
Also, what is the specific architectural style of your home?
Considering Window Replacement?
If you’re considering replacing your windows give us a call today. We would be happy to a free in-home consultation with you and help you make the best choice.
Consider C & D Home Solutions for Your Window & Door Needs
If you’re considering replacing your windows please considering giving us a call at C & D Home Solutions.
We have beautiful selections for every budget. We will work side by side with you to find the best solution and then to make sure your project goes smoothly from start to finish.
Call us at (205) 340-5786 or click here to fill out a form to request a free in home consultation.